Saturday, November 24, 2007

if i could save the world, i'd start with you.


not many people like beets. my friend liam had his first beet this week. and liked it. i was proud of him. beets are good for repairing the liver, producing stomach acids, and they help prevent cancer. not a bad deal if you can get people to eat them. its all about preperation.
here are some easy and delicious ways to get the masses to "beet it"


beet chips are a great way to get a junk food junky to enojy. the biggest problem is slicing them thin by hand.
slice about 3-4 beets as thin as you can(you can leave the skin on to make it easier-just wash them)
toss them with oil salt and pepper
bake on a sheet at 350 untill crispy.
mix some cream cheese and goat cheese to dip them in.

its cold out now and soup is a MUST. this is a very easy soup that i like chilled or hot.
1 cup carrots
1 cup onion
2 cups beets-all chopped.
1 spring fresh rosemary
vegetable stock

cook onions in oil till soft.
add carrots and beets cook with the onions 4 like 5 min.
add rosemary and veg stock till liquid just covers.
cook till veg is soft.
blend all, using the liquid to keep a good consistency.

pickled beets sound scary but you can pickle them with whatever you want. some countrys have whole meal courses of pickled foods. its an amazing way to eat.
my pickling liquid.
1 cup water
1 cup white wine vinegar
2 cups sugar
add all, in pot heat up till sugar is disolved.

*u can use many things to pickle with, this is a simple pickleing liquid. some people just use lime juce.*

my pickled beet mix.
dice 3-4 beets kinda small-1/2inch by 1/2inch. the smaller you dice the faster they pickle.
3 whole clove garlic
2-3 small jalapenos sliced in rounds.
1/2 red onion chopped
star anise(4-5 if you can find whole, 1 tablespoon if pieces)
salt/pepper
wait about a week and it will be ready.

mike doughty rocks my world. even if dave mathews is on his new cd.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh-

More simple veggie recipes, please. I need to eat more veg but don't have a lot of time. I'll like what you make. So beets really help your liver? That... sounds like what I need.

I miss you a lot. I wish I lived in Chicago so I could be with you guys.

d

Anonymous said...

... and I guess I should finish my name since I'm otherwise anonymous..


.... ani